Welcome

Insightful news about and for educators in Alabama!

Monday, March 21, 2011

Alabama and Mobile County Schools In the News...

I took this course because I knew virtually nothing about blogs, twitter, podcasts..., and I was quite concerned that I may have huge difficulties getting this course completed. I guess I've just about made it! Anyway, I have a project to do to complete the final phase.
The state of Alabama is having trouble with the educational system. There is no money! Jobs, programs, even the repairs to the schools are all in jeopardy. There is a vote tomorrow in Mobile to retain a school tax that has been on the books for 20 years. If it doesn't pass it will be the equivalent of losing one whole grade level system wide. Imagine all the forth grade teachers just GONE! While I know that isn't how the actual cuts would be made, it serves to boggle the mind. With all the upheaval and uncertainty I thought I would like to utilize some of my new "tricks" to keep my blog continuing. I plan to use Google Reader, internet sites, twitter, and my own musings to keep my fellow teachers and school administrators up-to-speed on what is actually going on in education in Alabama and Mobile. It seems to me we are in a state of crisis, and a compilation of information tailored to teachers and administrators could be useful.
Action Plan:
1. Subscribe to Google Reader and Twitter (Done)
2. Begin following links that will help me acquire relevant information (Partially completed)
3. Get the word out about my blog (In process)
4. Read and reflect on information found
5. Post current information on blog.
6. Respond to comments as needed on the blog

3 comments:

  1. "Imagine all the fourth grade teachers just gone." Wow! If that doesn't paint a vivid picture, nothing will. It's an image every voter needs to picture before casting his or her ballot. And if that image is to implanted, it's up to us to do it.

    You are well on your way to harnessing some powerful tools. Introducing them to others only serves to make them more powerful. Using them to spread a message worth hearing is the most powerful of all.

    I once heard it said that good public relations has four key elements:
    1. Do a good job.
    2. Do a good job.
    3. Do a good job.
    4. Tell people about it.

    So often in education, we do the first three. Through your blog and Twitter, you are a big step towards getting the last one right as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am a fourth grade teacher! This opened up my eyes and I don't even teach in your district. You have clearly grasped the concept of how to use Web tools in an effective manner. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only are you well on your way to utilizing these new tools to reach the masses, but you also have some very relevant news to post. You are certainly following your plan of action. As evidenced by the recent posts, you have read and reflected on relevant information. Kudos to you and best wishes! Renee Callen

    ReplyDelete